NCBA, one of the biggest banks in East Africa, has just launched electric vehicle charging stations at its head office in Upper Hill, Nairobi. The charging stations were launched as part of its broader sustainability drive in line with the bank’s ESG framework under the theme “NCBA Change The Story.” The charging stations at NCBA Centre Upper Hill will be available for their customers and staff to use.
Speaking at the event, the NCBA Group MD John Gachora said NCBA will work with partners to deploy electric vehicle charging stations across the East African region. The new electric vehicle charging stations installed at NCBA Centre, Upper Hill, were established in partnership with EvChaja. EvChaja already has the most comprehensive presence in the Kenyan electric car charging sector. The company has charging stations in Nairobi, Mombasa, Nanyuki, Nakuru, and Kisumu.
Align with the 2015 Paris Agreement and reduce financed emissions by 2030 NCBA will also minimize its direct impact on the climate and amplify its tree planting program. Other initiatives from NCBA that are part of the wider sustainability push include:
- Completing a group-wide carbon audit in 2023 and setting a >50% reduction target for indirect emissions (Scope I & II) by 2030
- Align with the 2015 Paris Agreement and reduce financed emissions by 2030
- NCBA will embed a thorough assessment of climate-related risks in their lending, investment, and financing activities.
NCBA will also minimize its direct impact on the climate and amplify its tree-planting program. This will include, among other measures:
- Growing ten million trees by 2023 through strategic partnerships with private actors and government
- Entirely eliminate single-use plastic and recycle 100% of its waste by 2030
- Green the supply chain and transform all of its corporate gifting to be sustainable.
NCBA has also acquired an electric vehicle. Corporates are now taking a lead in sustainability issues as well as adopting electric vehicles and charging stations, this is good news. Staff members and customers visiting the bank’s Upper Hill center will see all these developments, which will help raise awareness. Places such as office parks, bank branches, supermarkets, and restaurants where people come and stay for a while during their meetings, shopping, and other outings are perfect places for people to charge their vehicles. At the same time, they go about their other businesses. The chargers installed by NCBA at NCBA Centre in Upper Hill, Nairobi, are 22kW AC charging stations, which are great for this time of application.
i) Remeredzai Joseph Kuhudzai (2023) NCBA Becomes The First Bank In Kenya To Install EV Charging Stations At Its Facilities