Ford intends to introduce in Europe the new all-electric Transit van in 2021. The prototype of the Ford Transit Electric was presented in Amsterdam Netherlands.
Ford didn’t say what range we should expect, but encourages it will be more than enough. Here is what we expect:
- Fully usable driving range for businesses working in tough urban operating conditions
- Multiple body styles
- Delivering full Transit durability and capability with no compromise on payload
- Built-in connectivity
It’s important to note that Ford is already producing all-electric vans, based on Transit chassis as contracted manufacturer for DHL’s StreetScooter.
The production of StreetScooter WORK XL in Cologne, Germany was launched in late 2018, offering up to 200 km (124 miles) of range on 76 kWh battery.
StreetScooter WORK XL spec:
- load volume of 20 m3, room for more than 200 packages, and a payload of up to 1,275 kg
- electric motor: 90 kW (122 PS) and 276 Nm
- battery capacity up to 76 kWh for up to 200 km (124 miles)
Ford Transit Smart Energy Concept
Ford also unveiled a Transit Smart Energy Concept, a 10-seater minibus. The concept, which has about 93 miles of driving range from a four-hour charge, was developed by engineers at Ford’s Merkenich Technical Center in Germany. The concept uses a Ford Transit chassis fitted with the same battery-electric drivetrain technology as the StreetScooter WORK XL. StreetScooter is the company behind DeutschePost DHL
The main purpose behind the Transit Smart Energy Concept is to develop and demonstrate the latest solutions, mostly around heating or saving heat in an electric vehicle.